Thursday, May 10, 2007

The # 8

First of all I do believe I previously mentioned that I am a redneck with a pinch of white trash. I just wanted to remind y'all of that fact before I also admit that I am a huge Nascar fan. No, I haven't been a fan for more than a few years and I barely understand the points system regarding the sport, but I have faithfully watched every race for the last 2 and a half years. Queenie started watching and she sucked me in as well.

If my post title didn't tell you, my driver is Dale Earnhardt Jr. No, I didn't watch the sport when his dad was alive, but from what I know of Dale Sr. he was one of the all-time greatest drivers. And besides, Junior is cute and completely unpretentious. Queenie is partial to Jimmie Johnson, FarrahHair's driver is Tony Stewart, and Meanie roots for Jeff Gordon. Needless to say when we all get together and watch a race, it can get pretty heated.

Today Junior announced he will be leaving Dale Earnhardt Inc. (the company who owns his car that was started by his dad) at the end of this season. For Nascar fans, whether Junior was your driver or not, this was a big shocker. Junior has wanted 51% ownership in his father's company and his step-mom Teresa won't give it to him so he left. Ok, I'm giving the short, short short version of the story, but that's the gist of it. You can read all about it on any of the sports websites if you're interested. Exciting stuff. It's Nascar's version of a soap opera.

Personally, I don't care where Junior goes as far as the team he races for or what his number will be (won't be the number 8, DEI owns that one) I will still watch him and root for him. I mean did I mention how cute I think he is???

No comments: